The Death of God: A Belated Personal Postscript

A view from the hill in Barrington where I ate my lunch today
This afternoon I noticed that a few people were reading a post that I'd put up back in May 2010
called The Death of God: A Belated Personal Postscript in which I'd quoted a few words by James W. Woelfel. As I noted six years ago the words "so resonated with my own position that I simply place [them]before you for your consideration." Well, re-reading them now I find it still resonates strongly with me and so I bring them to your attention once more.

I hasten to add that I am not so naïve as to think that the demise of the transcendent God within my own interpreted experience entails the universalized conclusion that he does not exist. I have become increasingly impressed by the inescapably contextual character of all our "ultimate concerns." I can appreciate the fact that all sorts of people deal with existence in terms of faith in the sovereign God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. On questions of ultimate meaning, none of us knows for sure who is closer to the mark. But in my own ongoing struggle to make sense of the Christian context of life- and world-interpretation, I find basic elements of that context which I simply cannot render coherent any longer, and I earnestly wonder how other persons manage to.

You can find the whole article here.


Comments

Popular Posts